Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is expanding the main lanes of Loop 1604 between Interstate 35 and Farm Road 78, and that means closures and detours lie ahead for people who drive through the far Northeast Side.
Construction crews will begin the process of demolishing the existing Pat Booker Road bridge at 1604, so that intersection will be closed each night from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Friday through Monday.
According to the TxDOT San Antonio office, the project contractor will close the main lanes of 1604 in both directions on a nightly basis, but the main lanes will be open during the day each day over the weekend.
The turnarounds at 1604 and Pat Booker also will be closed. The northbound-to-southbound turnaround will be closed 9 a.m. Friday through noon Wednesday; the southbound-to-northbound turnaround will be closed 9 a.m. Friday through 5 a.m. Monday and again from noon to 3 p.m. Wednesday through March 8.
“Depending on how much progress is made on the bridge demolition over the weekend, there may still be remaining work to be done – in that case, additional closures of Pat Booker Road and turnarounds will take place nightly Monday through Friday 9 p.m. until 5 a.m.,” TxDOT San Antonio officials said on their blog Thursday.
The $46 million expansion project on Loop 1604 between I-35 and FM 78 began in January and will continue through spring 2021.
Here are some other major construction-related closures happening in the San Antonio area through this weekend:
- The closure of the right-turn lane from Hausman Road to Bandera Road began Monday and is estimated to last one month to allow crews to add utility lines under that part of the roadway.
- South Alamo Street between César Chávez Boulevard and Pereida Street is seeing alternating lane closures between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. now through March 22 as a crew does minor improvements to César Chávez.
- Sixth Street from South Alamo to Avenue E is closed 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily now through March 8 for repairs.
- Ongoing closures on Broadway between McCullough Avenue and Fourth Street for sewer-related work is scheduled to end Saturday.
- The right lane of the eastbound Interstate 10 frontage road at Huebner Road will be closed 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday for utility-related work.
- The U.S. Highway 281 northbound ramp to Sonterra Boulevard will be closed 9 p.m. Friday through 5 a.m. Sunday.
Click on this link for more information on downtown road closures.