It takes a village to produce the Rivard Report.
Robert Rivard, our website’s namesake, has been a professional journalist, editor and author for more than 30 years. I’m no slouch, either, with decades in the business, beginning at the long defunct Dallas Times Herald where I met Bob (It was a news room romance.) and ending with a career at Berkshire Hathaway’s Business Wire. It’s tough to decide who’s the better boss: Bob Rivard or Warren Buffett? Hmm. I won’t answer that here.
The Rivard Report is attracting contributors from throughout the city, from young creatives new to their neighborhoods to members of City Council. We pride ourselves on publishing a diverse chorus of voices. Independent contributors now represent more than 50% of all stories, photos and videos we publish.
We need a lot of help to get the job done. We’re writing our own articles, editing others, recruiting new writers, and still working out the bugs. We’ve only been online since mid-February, and our current website didn’t launch until May.
Smart, savvy interns with energy and multi-tasking skills to spare have proven to be the key to our success.
Our first interns, Carolina Canizales and Donald Dimick are moving on.
Carolina left in mid-July to organize DREAMers for the passage of the Dream Act. We wish her the best. Don Dimick, our first hire, has been crucial to our launch, earning the label “founding intern.” Don will continue to work for the Rivard Report, but he will also be focusing on academics and completing his senior year at Trinity University to earn a Communications degree with a minor in Science. That leaves us shorthanded.
So we’re turning to you, Rivard Report readers, to help us find our next batch of sharp, able interns. They generally work 20 hours a week and we pay $12 per hour. What do they do?
A little bit of everything, honestly. See the job description, below. And if you know some sharp, able multi-taskers that could help us out, please send them our way.
Rivard Report Paid Internship
- Aggregating San Antonio-centric content for our wire feed
- Using WordPress to input photos and text for editing and curating
- Assembling and maintaining calendar listings from myriad sources
- Assisting with assembling quote of the day
- Hands-on admin help to include filing, answering emails, and managing comments and mailing lists
- Ideal person would be a journalism, liberal arts, or communications student, who
- Loves to write and is a stickler for grammar and good spelling
- Has good journalism instincts
- Can write a PSA, press release or cutline
- Is proficient in WordPress, Microsoft Office for Mac, Twitter, Facebook and other social media
- Multitasks easily and can get things done
- Photography/video/Photoshop skills a plus.
You’re not interested in writing, but want to sell ads? We pay extra for that.
Have what it takes? Please send cover letter, resume and writing samples to email@example.com.