Improvements at Farm Road 1103 and Interstate 35 in Schertz continue, and that means the occasional freeway bridge closure.
Anderson Columbia, the contractor working to replace the FM 1103 overpass, was originally scheduled to completely close the bridge beginning Saturday morning. But forecasts of rainy weather this weekend are delaying the scheduled closure, officials said, adding that whenever the closure happens, the detour plan will remain the same.
It will be a full closure of the bridge and the northbound frontage road at 1103. The northbound exit ramp to 1103 will be closed, too.
The detour will direct interstate traffic to exit Farm Road 3009 to Farm Road 78 and around 1103. The main lanes of I-35 at the intersection will not be affected. Motorists wanting to access 1103 east of I-35 can exit at Farm Road 3009, go south a few miles to Farm Road 78 and turn left. FM 7 meets FM 1103 after about a mile.
According to Cibolo’s Facebook page, which noted the delay, this closure is needed because the contractor will mill and place hot mix asphalt to build up the intersection of 1103 and the I-35 northbound frontage road to meet the proper grades at the approach to the new FM 1103 bridge.
Several deep layers of asphalt will need to be placed, and the cooling of these layers of asphalt will be a contributing factor in the length of time to complete the work, Cibolo officials added.
Here’s a look at other notable road closures happening soon around the San Antonio area:
- All westbound lanes of Encino Rio approaching U.S. Highway 281 will be closed 9 p.m.-5 a.m. Saturday until May 10 for a traffic switch. During this time, traffic can make right only turns, then use the turnaround north of Evans Road.
- Loop 1604 eastbound frontage road from Interstate 10 to Rogers Ranch Road will be closed 9 p.m.-5 a.m. daily Sunday-May 10, for milling and paving work.
- The 1604 eastbound frontage road from the Stone Oak Parkway entrance ramp to the 281 southbound frontage road will be closed 9 p.m.-5 a.m. daily Monday-May 10. Work crews will be installing steel girders.
- The northbound main lanes of 281 all will be closed from the 1604 frontage road exit ramp to the Sonterra Boulevard entrance ramp to install pavement markings. This closure will happen 9 p.m.-5 a.m. Monday-May 10.
- There will be alternating lane closures at the Northwest Military Highway/1604 intersection, in both directions, for traffic signal work 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday.
- There also will be alternating frontage road closures along 1604 at Northwest Military, in both directions, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday.
- The westbound Ralph Fair Road exit ramp of I-10 is closed now until May 14 for lengthening and widening work to fit the expanded mainlane configuration. A similar closure is taking place with the eastbound Dominion Drive exit ramp at I-10.
- A contractor is working to remove and replace pavers in the bus lane on North St. Mary’s Street between Pecan and East Travis streets. Work is happening typically between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. with a May 19 end date.
As for closures related to the San Pedro Creek improvements, the northernmost lanes of Commerce Street from Flores to Laredo streets are closed. The northernmost lanes and sidewalk of Dolorosa Street from Laredo Street to Plaza de Armas also are closed.
The Sundt-Davila Joint Venture team, which is handling construction, will complete demolition work on the northern part of the Commerce Street bridge.
Stay tuned to San Antonio Transportation and Capital Improvements, CPS Energy and San Antonio Water System for information on current and planned road closures around town.