The San Antonio Botanical Garden is captivating guests this holiday season with more than one million lights and festive artistic displays as Lightscape returns for its second season.
Set to joyful music, the family-friendly outdoor illuminated 1-mile walking trail showcases new artistic installations never before seen in San Antonio and beloved features that wowed audiences in its premiere season. Lightscape is open now and will run until Jan. 8, 2023.
First premiering to sold-out crowds in the U.K. and then Chicago, Lightscape made its Texas debut at the San Antonio Botanical Garden in 2021. This year, new and favorite installations unique to Texas created by local and international artists are shining throughout the Garden’s 38 acres. More than 80 percent of this year’s trail features never before seen installations including:
- Kinetic Hues: An immersive installation made from 12 dazzling saturated pillars of light whose up-and-down movements create a stunning series of shadows that move, morph and are constantly changing. Created by Australian artist Mandylights.
- Flower Forest: Bursting with light, color, energy and imagination, these giant illuminated flowers captivate and engage, evoking feelings of awe and wonder while igniting a sense of warmth and excitement. Created by artist Jigantics.
- Aurora: Bringing the northern lights to life and recreating the tones of the Aurora Borealis while illuminating the audience below, this new overhead piece combines light, art, music and sound design. Created by ITHACA Studio.
Favorites like the Winter Cathedral have returned alongside reimagined installations, including Fire Garden and an even more spectacular immersive display of the field of Bluebonnets — an installation seen only in Texas.
Guests can enjoy holiday-themed food and drinks, including s’mores, available for purchase throughout the Garden. It is recommended that guests arrive at the gate 15 minutes prior to their entry time slot, allowing time to park, take the shuttle and check-in.
Reserved on-site parking must be purchased in advance. Free parking is available off-site at the nearby University of the Incarnate Word Founders Hall parking lots and garage. A complimentary, ADA-compliant shuttle service will run nightly.
Tips for visiting Lightscape:
- Please plan to arrive at the gate 15 minutes prior to your entry time slot, allowing time to park, ride the shuttle and check in.
- Please dress appropriately for this outdoor walking experience.
- Food and drink will be available for purchase at the event. Outside food and beverage is not allowed in the Garden.
- No cash will be accepted. Visa, Master Card, American Express and Apple Pay are accepted.
- The event is rain or shine.
This magical event sold out multiple nights last year, so guests are encouraged to purchase their tickets early!
San Antonio Botanical Garden members receive an exclusive discount on online ticket purchases. Learn more about Lightscape and purchase tickets.