Twenty-four more cases of coronavirus were confirmed Wednesday in Bexar County, as the local death toll stayed at nine.
The increase comes in the wake of revelations Wednesday about an outbreak at a local nursing home facility. San Antonio Fire Department officials on Wednesday confirmed the facility has had 12 positive diagnoses among residents and staff. One of the residents died Tuesday. Officials were later notified of two additional cases at the nursing home, bringing the outbreak to 14 total cases.
Of the 229 cases revealed in a Wednesday evening update, 66 have been identified as cases of community transmission, where the source of transmission cannot be traced. The rest of the cases have either been travel-related, by close contact with someone who contracted the virus, or are being investigated. With two additional nursing home cases that were not included in the Wednesday report, the total case count now stands at 231.
“At this time we still have more pending tests,” City spokeswoman Laura Mayes said. “In the next couple of days we will confirm the rest of the results.”
The city will hold a moment of silence at 9:20 a.m. in remembrance of the nine people that have so far died from the disease.
“I invite everyone in the city to join us as we remember those who we have lost and those that continue to remember,” Mayor Ron Nirenberg said at a Wednesday press briefing.
Every day brings new developments and decisions by government and public health leaders to control the local coronavirus outbreak. We strive to be a trustworthy news source for all in the community–especially during this tumultuous time.
You rely on us for credible reporting, and we rely on readers like you to support our nonprofit newsroom. Can we count on you?
Our reporters are risking a lot to be on the streets chronicling this unprecedented crisis and its impact on our health care systems, local economy, and daily lives. We've been asking our readers to show support for this important public service by making a monthly donation or a one-time gift in whatever amount you can afford.
These donations are helping offset the loss of advertising revenue we normally rely on from local businesses. Can we count on you?
In light of the news about the nursing home outbreak, Nirenberg urged all nursing home facilities, residents, and relatives of residents to observe the precautions prescribed in the local Stay Home, Work Safe order, which include restricting unnecessary visitation, canceling group activities and communal dining, and closely monitoring residents as well as employees.
“Please do not take the chance of exposing our most vulnerable residents to illness. Communicate with your loved ones but do it by phone, by FaceTime, by Skype, or by videoconference,” Nirenberg said. “And do not visit them in person if you don’t have to.”