More than 2,500 backlogged coronavirus cases were added to Bexar County’s database Sunday. That, in addition to 116 new cases identified on Sunday, brings the total count to 63,328.
Each Sunday since Sept. 13, the Metropolitan Health District has released backlogged data collected in response to a discrepancy in state versus local health department numbers.
San Antonio officials reported one death Sunday – a Hispanic woman in her 60s with underlying medical conditions – that occurred within the past 14 days. An additional 16 deaths occurred between July 8 and Sept. 29 and were previously under investigation.
Bexar County’s seven-day cases average was 152, a slight increase from 147 on Saturday. Seventeen new COVID-19 patients were hospitalized, bringing the total to 190, 83 are in intensive care and 30 are on ventilators.
Bexar County saw its largest case increases this month on Thursday and health officials said they were bracing for the possibility of another surge in the region.
“I am concerned there is another surge, and so what we have to ask ourselves is when we saw the surge in June, what would we have done differently?” Mayor Ron Nirenberg said Thursday during his nightly COVID-19 update with Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff and health officials.
Locally, officials have ramped up testing and tracing capacity while keeping mask mandates for local businesses. After some deliberation last week, Wolff signed an order allowing bars to open as early as this week at 50 percent of posted indoor capacity. There is no limit for outdoor capacity.
To receive emailed coronavirus updates each weekday, sign up for The Curve here.