The Rivard Report, which first published in February 2012, is now a 501(c)3 nonprofit and our stability and growth depends on our ability to grow and sustain our membership base, and to successfully seek funding from local and national foundations, San Antonio businesses and philanthropists.
The Rivard Report is seeking an energetic individual who will be responsible for coordinating all aspects of The Rivard Report’s membership programs, including cultivation and stewardship of individual and corporate donors. Additionally, this position is responsible for designing and implementing high quality events for members and the broader community. Applicants must demonstrate the ability to work with a small but committed team working to provide the city’s engaged citizens with a credible source of news, information and commentary.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
A successful development & membership director will be organized, disciplined and a self-starter willing to take the initiative to conceive, establish and execute funding strategies. This individual must have a strong interest in San Antonio and independent, non-profit journalism. Additionally, the ideal candidate must have the skills and confidence to engage members of San Antonio’s leadership community and communicate the importance and relevance of The Rivard Report and why it deserves support in fulfilling its mission.
- Develop goals and action plans with the Director for membership, development and retention, including corporate sponsorships.
- Develop short-, mid- and long-term plans for expanding corporate sponsorship program, improving member benefit offerings, and increasing overall membership.
- Provide analysis of existing membership materials as well as membership retention rates and opportunities for improvement.
- Write content for membership and sponsorship recruitment materials, appeal letters, brochures, invitations, surveys and coordinate production of these materials.
- Generate membership prospect leads and set up meetings with individuals and corporations.
- Work closely with the Director, board and staff in preparation for donor meetings.
- Develop and implement membership events and activities that attract new donors/members and engage and retain existing donors/members.
- Ensure donations and memberships are acknowledged personally and timely.
- Manage and maintain the membership database including the production of monthly membership/donor reports, prospect letters, thank you notes and membership renewals.
- Research and evaluate foundation grants and write grant proposals.
- Coordinate The Big Give campaign and/or design and develop other crowd-funding campaigns on behalf of The Rivard Report.
- Recruit, train, coach and mentor interns.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
- A 4-year degree required; communications, marketing, fundraising or nonprofit administration/leadership concentration preferred
- Articulate, poised and socially comfortable in a variety of settings
- Innovative in developing and implementing new strategies
- Adept at making sales and/or fundraising calls
- Willingness to experiment with new approaches and flexible in implementing others’ ideas
- Willingness to take initiative
- Persuasive communicator
- Creative thinker
- Results oriented
- Comfortable working in a collaborative environment
- Familiar working with databases and CRM systems
- Strong writer
HOW TO APPLY
The salary range is commensurate with experience and a competitive benefits package is included. The Rivard Report is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications for this position and stating how you heard about this opportunity to:
The Rivard Report
Subject Line: Development & Membership Director Position
Applications due by Friday August 12.
Top image: The Rivard Report office is located in the Rand Building at 110 E. Houston St. Photo by Kathryn Boyd-Batstone.