Do you know someone who has gone out of their way to enhance the quality of life of a veteran, military service member, or their families?
If so, the Bexar County Veterans Service Office is accepting nominations for the 2015 LeRoy V. Greene, Jr. Memorial Award, which recognizes Bexar County citizens who have done more than their fair share to contribute to the livelihood of veterans and military personnel.
Those nominating an individual must verify the accomplishments of the nominee. Nominations from spouses, siblings or children of the nominees will not be accepted.
The award recognizes one person from each of the four County Commissioner precincts, but only one of the four honorees will receive the award. The recipients will be announced during a Commissioners Court meeting prior to Veteran’s Day.
The award, which was created by the Bexar County Commissioners Court in 2008, honors retired Air Force Col. LeRoy Greene Jr., one of the original members of the Bexar County Veterans Advisory Committee. After serving in the military for 28 years, Greene served on the Civil Service Commission, the Bexar County Rail District, and other volunteer positions.
To be eligible for the award, nominees must:
- Be a citizen of Bexar County for at least two years at the date of nomination.
- Have performed noteworthy actions over the current fiscal year and throughout period of time, predominantly as a volunteer. Single actions do not qualify a person.
- Exhibit competence in teamwork and cooperation, dedication, and assistance to veterans, military service members and their families.
- Display heightened effort in performing quality tasks.
- Demonstrate exceptional leadership skills with initiative, dedication and follow-through.
- Unselfishly share his/her time and expertise with the veteran and military community.
Nomination forms can be obtained by contacting the Veterans Service Office at 210-335-6775 or downloaded at www.bexar.org, and submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to 210-335-3632, or by mail to Bexar County Veterans Service Office, 233 N. Pecos, Suite 320, San Antonio, TX, 78207.
*Top image: United States Military personnel gather in Wimberley, Texas after the devastating spring 2015 floods. Photo by Scott Ball.
Into the Breach: Fixing Smiles for Homeless Veterans
Veterans and Yoga: The Perfect Mix
A Reporter Illuminates Female Veteran Homelessness