The University of the Incarnate Word Cardinals football team squeaked past the Furman Paladins 41-38 in the final two minutes of play at packed Benson Stadium on Saturday night.

The win by the two-time Southland Conference champions pushed the seventh-seed Cardinals to the quarterfinals of the Football Championship Subdivision Playoffs, a first in program history.

“That was exciting, for sure. Our guys came out, played tough and never quit,” Cardinals head coach Kinne said. “I am really proud of those guys with all the adversity they faced this week. They came together for an unbelievable team win. It was unbelievable, a great win for these seniors, this school and the leadership involved.”

The game came down to the final 01:54 when senior quarterback Lindsey Scott Jr. threw a 32-yard pass to Kole Wilson in the endzone.

The pass made Scott the new record holder for FCS total touchdowns and proved to be the game-winning score.

“Coach put together a good play and, at that point, everyone executed perfectly. The offensive line blocked and a great route by freshman Kole Wilson, and when you run a good route like it’s just try to not overthrow him.”

Scott poignantly folded down to his knees on the field after the pass was caught and the crowd roared its approval.

“Anytime you have been on this long ride and your college career is in jeopardy, and you go out and throw a touchdown pass that secures one more week, it’s pretty emotional. I had to drop down and thank God for putting me in this position and giving me the ability.”

Scott did not know at the time that he had broken the record; he just knew UIW would keep playing another week.

“Scott just goes 1,000 miles per hour; he’s a challenge and their back is outstanding,” Furman coach Clay Hendrix said. “He has an incredible ability to get the ball off when I thought we had him four or five times but he eluded us,”

Incarnate Word quarterback Lindsey Scott Jr. looks to pass during the first half.
Incarnate Word quarterback Lindsey Scott Jr. looks to pass during the first half. Credit: Darren Abate for the San Antonio Report

Furman had the ball for the final moments of the game. With 1:17 left, defensive back Elliott Davidson snatched the interception and sealed the Cardinals’ win. 

Two weeks of rest made the Cardinals a bit rusty at the start. They came out and Scott threw two interceptions in the first quarter — more than he has this season.

 “We knew we would come out and click but that it would take a little time,” Kinne said. “We had to weather the storm. It was very similar to our Nevada game — that’s how it felt. It’s a credit to those guys. They made some great plays.”

Just Friday afternoon, Kinne announced that he will be leaving UIW to take the helm up Interstate 35 at Texas State.

Incarnate Word head coach G.J. Kinne
Incarnate Word head coach G.J. Kinne. Credit: Darren Abate for the San Antonio Report

Scott and fellow senior Darion Chafin met with their underclass teammates to help keep emotions at bay.

“I told the guys before we stepped out on the field that we were going to do it, just believe that we are gonna do it before we step on that field,” Scott said. “Just go win, go find a way — scratch, claw, find a way to put together a drive.”

Next week at Hornet Stadium in Sacramento, California, the Cardinals will face the second-seed Sacramento State Hornets, who defeated the Richmond Spiders on Saturday.

Erin Gallegos Reid

Erin Gallegos Reid graduated from Southern Methodist University, then a graduate program at Georgetown University. She has worked at the network level (NBC, CBS, ESPN/ABC Sports, Turner Sports), local...