The COVID-19 pandemic posed significant challenges in schools through learning loss, widening inequality, and cuts to resources. Teaching and learning during this school year placed considerable focus on the social and emotional learning needs of students, an integral part of education.
In the second conversation in the 2021 San Antonio Regional Education Forum series, we discuss how the community convened to overcome these challenges and what learned experiences will carry over to the next school year. The 75-minute livestreamed program includes two panel discussions moderated by Publisher and CEO Angie Mock and Education Reporter Brooke Crum. Featured panelists include:
- Nick Garcia, executive director at Teach for America San Antonio
- Andy Keller, president & CEO at Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute
- Jessica Weaver, CEO at Communities in Schools San Antonio
- Israel Del Valle, math teacher at Matthey Middle School in Southside ISD
- Bre Jimenez, youth leader at UP Partnership
- Yvonne Ortiz-Perez, counselor at Howsman Elementary School in Northside ISD