Attorney General Ken Paxton announced on Monday that his office is launching an investigation into North East Independent School District for “facilitating student protests” in recent weeks.
Paxton’s Feb. 16 announcement also included Dallas ISD and Manor ISD.
The announcement came “following concerns that ISD administration and faculty orchestrated the protests.” Officials are accusing the named school districts of “taking little to no action to ensure the safety of students and to stop large-scale interruptions of classroom instructional time.”
Paxton is demanding that each of the three ISDs hand over information regarding policies related to allowing students to leave campus, excused absence policies, district security protocols and internal communications.
Students from least one NEISD school, LEE High School, participated in anti-ICE walkouts on Jan. 27.
Paxton’s investigation is focused on a Jan. 29 student walkout at Churchill High School, said district spokesperson Aubrey Chancellor, adding that NEISD is cooperating and gathering documents to share with Paxton’s office.
“In the spirit of transparency, we are providing additional documentation for other schools as well,” Chancellor said.
In a message to families on Jan. 29, district officials explained how NEISD was handling the walkout:
“While the campus respects our students’ rights to express their individual views, our highest priorities are to maintain students’ safety on campus and preserve a rich learning environment accessible to all of our students.
“Should students participate in a walkout, we want to be clear that students will be considered truant from class resulting in an unexcused absence. Additionally, if the event creates a significant disruption to learning or creates any type of physical danger to others such as bringing weapons or inciting violence, students will receive disciplinary consequences ranging from detention or In-school suspension to out-of-school suspension or recommendation to an alternative educational setting,” the district wrote.
Paxton’s announcement also follows an ongoing investigation launched into Austin ISD earlier this month for allegedly similarly facilitating “anti-law enforcement protests.” Student walkouts in the Austin area did lead to a handful of violent encounters between students, pedestrians and local law enforcement, but no similar events have been reported in the San Antonio area.
Student-organized walkouts and protests have erupted across the state and country following ramped up immigration enforcement efforts under the Trump administration.
Hundreds of students from all over San Antonio have participated in anti-Immigrations and Customs Enforcement walkouts, including in San Antonio ISD, Edgewood ISD, Northside ISD and NEISD.
The surge in student demonstrations led Gov. Greg Abbott to speak out publicly against student ICE walkouts, warning that school districts could face funding cuts and legal action if they allow students to walk out.
On Feb. 3, the Texas Education Agency released guidance to school districts on “educator responsibilities” when it comes to student disruptions, as well as the funding implications of students missing school, according to state education code. Public school funding in Texas is based largely on average daily attendance.
TEA’s update said districts were required to keep students safe, discourage students from walking out, taking disciplinary action for students who did leave or disrupt the campus and notifying parents of the absences.
Districts and teachers found to be in violation of the education code could face sanctions from TEA and the State Board of Education.
On Feb. 4, TEA announced the hiring of an “inspector general for educator misconduct,” a new enforcement role at the agency to coordinate decision-making for educator misconduct investigations and cases, including decisions related to certification sanctions and placement on the Do Not Hire Registry.
NEISD is already in trouble with TEA for keeping a cellphone policy that does not comply with the agency’s guidelines, though the district argues that the policy follows the state’s new law banning cellphones during the school day.
As for the student walkouts, Paxton said he will investigate the use of public funds and whether any laws were violated.
“Let this serve as a warning to any public school official or employee who unlawfully facilitates student participation in protests targeting our heroic law enforcement officers: my office will use every legal tool available to hold you accountable,” Paxton said.

