Your input matters. Share it.
Don’t miss your chance to shape our future and help us better serve you. Will you take 5 minutes out of your day to complete a brief survey?
San Antonio City Councilman Clayton Perry said Thursday he will not resign to run for a Bexar County Commissioners Court seat next year.
“My work in District 10 is not finished,” Perry said during opening remarks at City Council’s weekly meeting. “I’m humbled and grateful for all that encouragement that has been given to me.”
For several weeks, the Northeast Side councilman had been considering a bid for the Precinct 3 Commissioners Court seat and spoke with several District 10 residents, including local business attorney Marc Whyte, to gauge their interest in replacing him on City Council. Council members appoint a replacement when a seat becomes vacant.
“I know that I’d be the best qualified for that position for a number of different reasons. I check a lot of boxes,” Perry said of the seat currently held by Kevin Wolff. But several residents, groups, and businesses, “reached out and encouraged me to stay in District 10. … There’s still a lot to do.”
Perry is seen as the lone conservative voice on Council. Wolff, who decided not to seek reelection for Precinct 3 after three terms, is the lone Republican on the Commissioners Court.
“I’m kind of a lone voice up here on Council – that’s not discouraging to me, because that voice needs to be heard,” Perry said.
“I’m going to continue to be excited about that. it’s where my heart is. We’ll see what happens in the future.”
Public relations executive Trish DeBerry, developer Mitch Meyer, and former judges Celeste Brown and Genie Wright are among those who are running for Wolff’s seat or have expressed an interest in doing so.